There are a lot of things that can go through your mind after a breakup, but the most important question, is “Can exes get back together?” Happily, the answer to that is yes. The bad news is that you will have to put in some work to make it happen. If you need some some suggestions on how to get started, try some of the following.
- Work on your body. Sweating out the blues is a proven means of improving your chances of getting back together. Not only will exercise combat the common depression that follows any breakup, it will improve your confidence as well. Exercise causes your body to release hormones that elevate your mood. So the more exercise, the better you will feel. As you improve your physical fitness, you will feel increasingly better about your looks. You will pleased about your ability to show improvement, and your increased sex appeal.
- Work on your relationship issues. If you want to iron out some of those problems that caused your relationship to fail, you will first need to diagnose them. This is best done with some honest discussion. If you have some good, wise friends who have some experience in this area, you should ask them for advice. If you feel like something more is needed, you may wish to seek the services of a couples or personal therapist. These licensed professionals will have years of training and expertise that can not only identify your problems but also produce a step by step solution to remedy them.
- Party. Although you should be serious about getting back together with your ex, you need to take time out to relax. The easiest way to cut loose, is to go out and throw back some pints of local brew. Although you should be careful to avoid drinking habitually, because alcohol is a depressant, in the company of friends it can be an effective remover social inhibitions. You may wish to spend all of your social time discussing your past relationship, try to enjoy yourself as well.
- Meditate. You may not be much into yoga or spiritual meditation, but you should devote some time to quiet contemplation. This isn’t a license to sit in your house and just obsess about your ex. When you meditate, you should be trying to get back your emotional balance. You can miss your ex, but you don’t want to make him/her the end all reason for your life. So hopefully, when you complete your periods of contemplation, you will be more at peace.
- Befriend your ex’s friends. When you finally approach your ex to ask them to consider giving you a second chance, your ex will probably call up their friends to discuss the issue. You want to have at least one of those people voicing some support for you, so you need to start earning some of that good will. An easy way to strike up a friendship, is to share some activities. So take some of the same classes or play some of the same sports as them.
- Write a letter. It is important to begin communicating with your ex. A good way of doing that is to sit down and write down all the things on your mind. Once you do that, leave it on your desk for a couple days. When you go back, you want to rewrite it again. You never want to send a first attempt because you could be writing more from your heart than your head. In general, you want to write an unemotional, well reasoned message rather than a rambling diatribe about how much you love your ex. Describe the mistakes you made in the past and how you have changed. Then conclude with how you think things would be different if the two of you reunited.
- Send a gift. If you have the money for it, you can send something that will knock your ex’s socks off. However, a small meaningful gift that might evoke some happy memories from your time together can be just as effective. Most important, the gift should convey how much you care about them. And if you want to send out a series of gifts, make the gifts increasingly more impactful.